Landing Locals launched in 2019 with the mission to preserve a thriving middle class in vacation towns by helping the local workforce secure housing. We wanted to share a little more about the problem, our solution, and our progress since we launched a little over a year ago.
The dramatic growth of vacation towns across America has caused massive housing shortages for the local residents. While most people only travel to these one-of-a-kind destinations for a temporary getaway, the permanent residents and seasonal employees who support these communities are struggling to find housing.
How our platform works
We make it easy for second-home owners to convert their vacation rentals and underutilized properties into long-term housing for locals. Our technology platform let’s homeowners list their properties and match with local employees seeking housing.
What progress have we made to-date?
- March, 2019: Secured an initial grant from the Tahoe Truckee Community Foundation and launched a pilot in Truckee, CA
- June, 2019: Made our first match in Truckee between a local family seeking housing and a second-home owner converting their short-term rental to a long-term rental.
- December, 2019: Raised an angel round of funding to expand our technology and operations across the country
- March, 2020: Matched 75 locals to over 30 properties in the Truckee-Tahoe region.
- May, 2020: Expanded operations to cover the entire Lake Tahoe Area, and expanded to Big Sky, Montana
- June, 2020: Have matched over 100 locals to 40+ properties in two markets